Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Veep for Barack Obama

We made it. A 15% win in N.C. and a narrow 2% win for Hillary in Indiana. What a great contest!

I've tossed around ideas of folks who would be great VP choices in conversations with other Obama supporters and I've wanted to write about it for several months. But the perpetual closeness of this race has made me uncomfortable with posting these thoughts — superstition. Just take a look at today's Huffington Post home page for the reason why I'm confident about sharing now.

I'm not going to speculate about Hillary's chances of being asked or of taking this job. The MSM has that covered — overcovered, I'm sure. My list will read in the order of my preferences. Here it goes.

1. Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D) of Kansas. When I saw her endorsement speech in El Dorado, Obama's Kansas hometown, I was taken aback. I guess it began the night before actually when she delivered the Dem. response to the State of the Union address. Not only was she warm and well spoken, she echoed the themes of change and unity that Obama has made his own. She wasn't yet a public supporter of his, though there were rumors. Back to El Dorado, she gives her endorsement and then switches gears to address the crowd more directly -- looking into their eyes -- to encourage, even admonish, them to show up at their caucuses to caucus for Obama. Her message was simple -- one might say midwestern -- and clear, the crowd responded with enthusiasm. I wouldn't call that pressure, but Gov. Sebelius was cool on the stump at the presidential level. While I think that women who had deeply powerful hopes for the first woman President will support Obama insofar as they are Democrats to begin with, Gov. Sebelius is an outstanding and ethical woman for the job. 2012 just might be her year. One last point: Obama has mentioned that he want a Veep who brings something he doesn't already have to the party. Sebelius is a popular 2 time governor of a red state, whose lineage goes back to Ohio in politics. She is solidly midwestern, in a non-Chicago way, and she stands up with great intelligence and strength for policies she believes in. Take this story about new coal plants in Kansas and her opposition.

2. Sen. Jim Webb (D) of Virginia. Not that I was thinking about VPs yet in early 2007, but when Sen. Webb gave the Dem. response to the State of the Union address I knew there was something special. As a DC area resident, I had watched the Senate race in Virginia between George Allen and Jim Webb. It was tense and action packed. There were distractions galore, but in the end a Dem. was elected to what had been considered a solidly Republican seat. Especially since the Presidential-hopeful George Allen was supposed to be unbeatable. However, Allen was no match for the not-so-new new media that would bring him down. Sen. Webb had issues of his own to address, but his earnestness and eloquence saved the day. Jim Webb's military background, his high post as Secretary of the Navy under no less than Ronald Reagan, his decision to change parties from Repub. to Dem. and his ability to write and speak as compellingly as Obama all add up to a formidable Veep choice. That and Virginia is a key state in November. Finally, Sen. Webb just might help shore up the lunch pail voters as he is naturally conservative, as opposed to suddenly so, and even one of the few concealed weapon licensees on the Hill.

3. Sen. Chuck Hagel (R) of Nebraska. This one just came to my attention about a month ago. I watched an interview with Sen. Hagel with Keith Olbermann and I was convinced that this was a third way. Chuck Hagel has dissented from the Republican party line on several key fronts. He's an intelligent and experienced firebrand who knows what he believes and sticks to it. I still have more to learn about Sen. Hagel, but I like what I see. I also like the idea of Obama putting his money where his mouth is on the notion of appointing the right people regardless of party for the Veep positions. Also, there's an aspect of this match-up that could be appropriate in light of the primaries — Obama took Nebraska in a blow out like Kansas and Virginia — that's a good start for building support.

4. Is the "Clinton" option without Hillary: Gov. Ted Strickland (D) of Ohio. Having just read his Wikipedia page I know more than I did right before I read it, but he was widely credited with delivering Hillary's Ohio win. If it becomes necessary to ask a Clinton surrogate to join the ticket, he seems like a good choice.

There it is. I know there are many qualified and powerful options for this job. These are some that just resonate with me.

No comments: